Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brothers, Snow and Rosy Cheeks

My cheeks are so pink!
And I can't help but think of my childhood and the fabulous time I had being outside in the snow. I know it wasn't always fun and games, especially when I drew the small straw only to clamber down the root cellar stairs to grab jars of fruit for dessert. Whooh1 Still gives me chills.
What I remember most is the gearing up to go outside, I am sure it looked like quite the production; six kids or more, 12 sets of boots and gloves, toques and ski pants, and long johns.
Firmly bundled with a huge itchy wool scarf wrapped around our necks while covering 3/4's of our faces - keep the nose warm so your snot doesn't freeze! We were ready to embark a winter adventure usually involving toboggans, an extreme slope and hay bales. (if only you were there...)
A couple of hours would give mom a break from our noise and get our blood running, clean out the lungs and make us hungry! Conquering our snow play, we would pile in by the fire with a heap of wet clothing, cold hands and flushed cheeks.
I was always so happily exhausted at this point. My blood was warm and my hair askew and life was good.
Too this day I love a good jaunt outside and with the bit of winter we encountered this week made it all the better. Each day I come inside, hang up my gear and feel the flush in my pink cheeks. I am deeply grateful for winter's bite and the warm memories.
Also this week included having my older brother in town for the week and my youngest brother coming for dinner a couple of nights. I am not sure if my kitchen has pumped in, and out, so much food. Planning the meal, shopping, prepping, and cooking and plating. I certainly put in my hours to enjoy a night off and have veggie noodle soup from the local Pho restaurant.
It's been nice to enjoy some brother time and have my home engaged in warm family energy. Besides, they do the dishes for their sister.
It's always toughest to consider what to make for strapping working boys. But I managed to satiate their appetite with dinner from around the world. Monday night was Indian with chicken/tofu vindaloo, veg curry, pakoras, pickled carrots, raita and chutney. Everything was made by hand including the spice blends, warmed and ground fresh. This one took a toll on me though, about 8 hours in the kitchen plus a walk outside in the fresh snow. Let's just say I was in bed early sleeping like a baby.
Tuesday night we found ourselves in Italy with a fresh baguette ready for a slather of lemon garlic butter, baba ganoush, ricotta gnocchi and an unorthodox caesar salad. Oma's kuchen for dessert.
Wednesday we went to the Isle of Japan for some miso soup to help combat my one brother's deep cough and cold. All homemade from scratch once again, with veg gyoza, tamari fried tofu, brown rice and edamame sprinkled with sea salt.
Tonight is definitely a night off from cooking, although I am willing to make up a squash soup, but I really want my out-of-town bro to try the Vietnamese soup. It is perfect to break through most chest colds.


His chest cold has been up and down but last night was really tough for him. The cough worsened as the night went deep into the a.m. I could here the tight chest rumble and wheeze with every cough. I feared he could hurt himself so I stumbled out to the kitchen for a tepid glass of water. Instantly I reached for the Slippery Elm and my older sisters Cardamon infused honey. Mix it together to form a paste in order to suck it off the spoon. In ten minutes the chest began to break up, the coughing became less intense and sporadic, twenty minutes and he was out until the early morning.




Yes I am exhausted, but my cheeks are pink from todays brisk walk and there is soup waiting for me at the end of this day, so I am happy

No comments:

Post a Comment