Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wood Condition

During Autumn I have a checklist that ceases to quit; change seasonal clothes in the closet, wash under the fridge and stove, dust the last bits of summer away, de-clutter, clean up the plants off the patio......
This is just the household maintenance, I've discussed in prior postings about the harvest time too. Everything seems to be tended to though, all in due time and in whatever order. The other day, as I fumbled in my pot of utensils desperately needing a spoon but struggling with the tongs, I took a moment to consider this vi-eying call for attention. The wooden spoons were brittle dry in search for a dip in oil to quench the woody grain. It is my duty to care for the tools I use everyday, to give back in honour of their forever giving. I plunge spoons and ladles into hot steaming pots of soups and sauces, I stir and whip ingredients together, taste test jams and then scrub them clean in hot soapy water. That's enough to earn a pay check! The very least a day of relaxing, tender care. Upon receiving this wood grove's whispers of need I promptly took out a (much loved) pot, filled it with four spoonfuls of coconut oil and turned the element on to low. I went through my array of wooden spoons, ladles, bowls and cutting boards; collecting their stories and usage. Once the coconut oil had melted to a clear liquid I began to pick up a wood friend, one by one, and giving it loving - un -divided attention I lathered it with oil. Sometimes I used a pastry brush, for the cutting boards, a paper towel, or just my fingers. Careful! the oil is hot.
It was a nice way to reconnect with my much trusted allies, to remember whence they came, gifts, given or bought, the people in connection, how I utilize each piece... it's a special time to reminisce and to initiate the dream time coming with the darker weather. I lovingly noted the spoons stained yellow with turmeric or deep berry-blue. The cutting boards carry grooves of times past, bits chopped and diced, the knife striking the board in a rhythmic motion, like beating on a drum, striking a cord: it's time to nourish. Each piece of my gathered copse rests in a revived and glistening state, ready to continue weaving stories of nourishing meal creations.
We are not the sole creator in our story life, rather it's interconnected relationship of hardworking variables that inspire evolution. To appreciate the woods of the forest that live in our kitchen and homes and how they assist us in performing our daily routines, this is the conscious connection one takes on as the highest of responsibilities.
Many Blessings and thank you's to the trees, the tools and to you.
P.S
Nothing goes to waste in my home, any left over coconut oil went to conditioning wood containers and boxes and tables in other parts of the house.
Sounds like a nice way to nestle into rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment