Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cough Drops and Marmalade

The new year of 2013 came into my life with less enthusiastic veracity then I had anticipated. Neither good or bad, rather interesting, as I found myself settled into dark days with steaming cups of tea, wearing comfy's and making cough drops for my sick man.

Since christmas day he had been under the weather and new year's eve was no different.
I was busy making my way through all my herbs and remedies to help him get better. In the end I was on a roll of about 6 pots of tea a day, refilling hot water bottles, administering castor oil packs, drawing hot baths and 'pounding' his back. Not only that the cold weather threw him into treacherous cough fits so I couldn't have any of the windows open. As he moved from room to room I would go around and crack the window for a bit, air out the blankets and pillows and try to fumigate with sage, candles and incense. This was a full time job.
Not only the above duties, but I had to keep myself from slipping into the hands of the virus/bacteria doom. I admit there were times when I had to have a nap and rest as I felt my throat heat up and my ear begin to burn. I counteracted with healing words to myself and MAP sessions. Also, water diluted tea tree oiled cotton swabs wiped in the ears helps ward of infection coming in through the 'back door". When I needed a nap, I just had to nap. 20 minutes. But this was only for a couple of days. Still it was added pressure.
I ended up making some simple and effective cough drops, easy for anyone to grab from the freezer. It was a mix of slippery elm, myrrh, and goldenseal all wrapped up with raw honey. Then I dropped teaspoons onto parchment paper and threw it into the freezer.
It was a quick fix but what really helped was thyme. What an amazing herb! This and plantain were my final two herbs that really pulled Cory through. Thyme was used in a bath and in teas and the plantain in tea as well and used in a salve to rub on the pads of the feet. Thank you Thank you!


And with that, I am still going strong making soups and teas and now marmalade. Hmmm.
There grocers are filled with bins of in-season oranges, tangelos, lemons, and limes. I began cutting into the fleshy soft oranges after a good bath to clean off any residues on the peel. Wow, the colours are so vibrant, it was a steady stream of sunshine as I loaded the bowl up and the sweet citrus scent perfumed the air. Heaven in the middle of winter. I had thoughts of summer and beaches, wearing flip flops and tank tops. I could almost feel the sun's warmth on my shoulders. Only soon enough, for now I am thankful for the citrus family, this little indulgence in the middle of winter.
Cheers to Marmalade!




No comments:

Post a Comment